Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Catching up on news



ITEMS TWO &c.

My poem "Race to the end" was published (on page 5 of) Star*Line 38.4 at the beginning of October 2015. I have yet to receive my contributor's complimentary paper copy. I am happy!

I've enjoyed the poetry writing, especially the Poetry 101 Rehab and RonovanWrites Haiku challenges. They've inspired me to write a lot of poems, for which I am grateful.

I came back this year to co-chair the Science Fiction Poetry Association's annual Online Halloween Poetry Reading. My co-chair is Shannon Connor Winward, who is enthusiastic and capable. It is good to have more people than myself know how this goes. I really don't intend to come back to do this again next year...although without responsibility for promotions and the answering of questions, it's really not that bad, this year. I guess I could be persuaded, all other things being equal.

Last year what wasn't equal was my sister's dying while beginning chemo/radiation treatments for cancer. This year it's my worsening eyesight and my laptop computer's disintegrating noticeably from one day to the next, even though scans show no problems. Blowing dust out of the insides seems to helped somewhat, but I'm still getting blue screens.

I've been enough out of it from various allergies and stress to have dropped the ball on all of my planned and regular correspondence. I don't feel guilty. I do feel uncomfortable about it, but in the manner of sadness. I cannot anymore do everything, and maintaining correspondence does not seem to be on the top of my priorities list. I may die alone (family not included in that) and abandoned as a result (and also hungry or adding paper cups and plastic forks and spoons to regular usage, since I'm flunking dishwashing again), but writing and reading and interacting with Al are taking the top three spots (that list is random, not ranked), and often, these days, there's no room for any of the items below those three.

I have located and ordered a replacement for my laptop: an Acer notebook that's actually got both Windows 10 and a DVD writer/player built in. Also 1TB drive and double the memory I was running with. I will be forever repaying that money to the proper fund, since instead of saving, this summer, I was ... directing that portion of my allowance elsewhere.  And I am glad. For writing when I can't get up to the desktop comfortably or for enough time at a stretch, I still have a functioning netbook. It has Word, and it doesn't have Internet capabilities at this point, which aids in concentrating on writing.



No comments: